SunButter™, initiated by marine biologist Sacha Guggenheimer and conservation ecologist Tom Hiney, began as a quest for a sunscreen that wouldn’t harm the delicate Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia. The pair, aware of chemical sunscreen’s adverse effects on oceans, especially coral reefs, sought to create a sunblock that provides high-grade SPF50 protection, without introducing harmful chemicals to the skin or the sea.
- Natural sun protection formulas safe for both users and marine life.
- Australia’s pioneering reef-safe sunscreen in reusable and recyclable tins.
- The nation’s debut vegan surf zinc.
- Compliance with Australia’s rigorous sunscreen standards.
Their commitment is encapsulated in the mantra, “Protecting People & The Planet”. This is not just a promise but demonstrated in their efforts:
- Averting the use of 142,222 single-use plastic sunscreen bottles.
- Keeping 14 tonnes of toxic chemical UV blockers from waterways and oceans.
- Donating $23,635 to charitable partners.
- Offsetting 247 tonnes of carbon through tree planting initiatives in Australia and New Zealand.
Behind SunButter™, Sacha, with her profound love for the sea and healthy community-focused living, and Tom, a former economics student turned coral reef specialist, both merge their backgrounds to produce products rooted in sustainability and health.