People Tree has been a forerunner in sustainable, ethical, and eco-conscious fashion since its inception in 1991. Their unwavering commitment over three decades ensures every product meets the highest ethical and environmental standards. What you’ll find in their collection are contemporary, versatile designs paired with playful, exclusive prints inspired by the V&A archives.
People Tree’s commitment include:
- Traditional Skills: Celebrating age-old hand skills such as embroidery, weaving, printing, and dyeing, they not only promote these crafts but also ensure continuous training for newer generations, fostering sustainable artisan communities.
- Education: People Tree’s consistent efforts have enhanced access to education for both adults and children in vulnerable communities.
- Empowerment: At its heart, People Tree stands for Fair Trade and Social Justice. Choosing one of their products means directly supporting opportunities for individuals with disabilities and those at a disadvantage.
- Fair Trade Certification: As a testament to their dedication, People Tree was the first fashion brand to earn the World Fair Trade Organisation product label.
- Environmental Advocacy: Partnering with various organizations, People Tree actively works towards offsetting the environmental effects of the fashion industry.
Their dedication to sustainability shines through in their use of sheep’s wool from New Zealand, a natural, biodegradable, and renewable resource. Their partnership with KTS in Nepal promotes hand-knitted garments, supporting over 2,000 hand knitters. This association not only yields unique items but also provides fair employment opportunities, especially for women artisans, enabling them to simultaneously care for their families and earn.