Better for you, your health and the planet’s.
A Foresighted Gem from Portugal, Muki Shoes is a sustainable and health-conscious footwear brand that focuses on creating minimalist, barefoot shoes made entirely of natural materials. These shoes are designed to offer optimal foot health, comfort, and style, and they come in a range of sizes for both adults and children.
- Founded by two passionate designers with backgrounds in dance, yoga, and nature
- Successfully launched through crowdfunding, with an online shop shipping worldwide
- Commitment to natural, non-toxic materials, and fair production processes
- Close relationships with local, family-owned suppliers and manufacturers to ensure quality and reduce carbon footprint
- Based in Portugal, supporting local fabricants and respecting labor rights
Materials used in their shoes include hemp, cotton, organic cotton, burel (felted wool), leather, cork, and linen. The company ensures that these materials are sourced responsibly, giving preference to local, organic, and fair-trade options.
They have a good range of kids’ and adult barefoot shoes for everyday, casual, and office wear. Their minimalist footwear ticks all the boxes needed for the health of your feet.
And on top of this, they have a very strong focus on sustainable manufacturing and sourcing natural materials. Their transparency page details their practices. Among them: sourcing wool, linen, cork locally produced in Portugal or as close as possible. Using deadstock or surplus of high-quality textile rejected for minor defaults, from the clothing industry, and upcycling them in shoes. Re-using their own offcuts for limited styles. And many more initiatives, including a resoling program for customers within the EU.
Based in Portugual, shipping worldwide. Local options to buy here.
Read our complete journal article: Into the Future: The Mukishoes Journey of Sustainable Barefoot Shoes