Iron Roots is a forward-thinking Dutch sportswear brand, established in 2018 by a group of friends. Their motivation? The overwhelming dominance of plastics in sportswear. Prioritizing design, functionality, and sustainability, Iron Roots crafts activewear from natural-origin fabrics such as hemp, eucalyptus, and beechwood, instead of relying on common plastic-based materials like polyester and nylon. This commitment:
- Reduces CO₂ emissions during production, with certain products boasting up to 60% less emissions than polyester counterparts.
- Supports plastic-free initiatives, including recycling, but with a discerning stance on the type of plastic used.
They take pride in:
- Using fabrics like hemp, which not only emits far less CO₂ but also boasts properties like being antistatic and antibacterial.
- Utilizing tree-based materials like eucalyptus and beechwood, both FSC certified, to create cool, antistatic, and antibacterial sportswear.
- Incorporating organic cotton, sourced from Turkey, which complements fabrics such as hemp by adding softness.
Fair production is paramount for Iron Roots. Their partnership with GOTS and SMETA certified factories in Portugal and Greece ensures ethical manufacturing processes. Workers there benefit from standard working hours, regular breaks, vacations, and earn living wages. Sustainability extends to their business operations; from plastic-free packaging and sustainable shipping methods to encouraging customers to return worn-out apparel for recycling. Through their commitment to ethical and environmental principles, Iron Roots redefines the essence of sportswear.